Prosoft-Systems is helping to build the most powerful power plant in the Kaliningrad region
In June 2018, the Pregolskaya CHP was hooked up to the Kaliningrad regional power grid — the third of four new power plants designed to ensure the region's energy security in accordance with the Russian government's approved Resolution No. 1116, dated October 20, 2015, as well as the Russian government's Decree No. 2098-r, also dated October 20, 2015. It will be the most powerful of the new facilities in the Kaliningrad region — 456 MW. The construction was ordered by Kaliningrad Generation Ltd. (a joint venture between Inter RAO PJSC and Rosneftegaz JSC). Inter RAO-Engineering Ltd acted as the general contractor, and the top-to-bottom automation of the facility was carried out in stages by Prosoft-Systems Ltd.
As part of the construction of the station, Prosoft-Systems Ltd delivered the following systems, as well as supervising their installation and calibrating their turnkey operation:
- Special integrity protection schemes (SIPS)
- Technological data exchange system with system operator
- Fault recording system
- Wide area measurements system (WAMS)
- Advanced energy metering system (AMS)
By the time the top-to-bottom automation is completed in December 2018, the emergency-control system at the Pregolskaya CHP will include:
- MKPA cabinets that are able to automatically eliminate asynchronous modes (out-of-step protection) and detect unit trips (generator block tripping identification algorithm)
- MKPA cabinets that are able to perform automatic load shedding of power plant under-frequency islanding
- Cabinets with MKPA-2 terminals that are able to automatically eliminate asynchronous modes (out-of-step protection) and detect line trips (line tripping identification algorithm)
- AVANT K400 devices to transmit relay-protection and emergency-control signals and commands
- Cabinet for remote control of the emergency control system
The tasks of the station's technological data exchange system with system operator, fault recording system, and wide area measurements system will be carried out by six RES-3 digital fault recorders for measuring current, voltage, power, and frequency, and also for recording the oscillograms of the emergency modes.
To ensure that the transient modes are being monitored and data is being transmitted to ODU Severo-Zapada by WAMS's hardware and software bundle at the Pregolskaya CHP, five TPA-02 phasor measurement units and one energy data concentrator will be installed and calibrated.
The technological data exchange system with system operator that is being created by the engineers from Prosoft-Systems transmits information to the System Operator about the parameters of the electrical mode and the signals indicating the position of the switching devices, as well as signals about the operation or malfunction of the relay-protection devices and emergency-control automation.
The technological data exchange system with system operator is being created on the basis of the ARIS hardware and software bundle and includes the following basic equipment:
- ARIS multifunctional programmable logical controllers (ARIS 303.1 and ARIS 304, which include modules for inputting discrete signals about the state of the main electrical circuit (and others), as well as modules for inputting analog signals, which are designed to collect the electrical parameters of the circuit (U, F, P, Q, I, and so on.))
- Mutually redundant servers of the technological data exchange system with system operator (HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8), which are designed to collect information from mid-level communication controllers, analyze and display the collected information, and also to run a subsystem of alarms — in both color and sound — to communicate warning and emergency conditions)
- a remote measuring communication controller (the ARIS CS, which is designed to collect lower-level information and retransmit it to recipients at the level of the Baltiisky regional dispatch office and the Department of Operational, Technological, and Situational Management at Yantarenergo JSC, as well as to communicate with the process automation system and the upper-level technological data exchange system with system operator)
- Equipment for generating accurate astronomical time signals for GPS and GLONASS (Metronome-300)
- Uninterruptible power sources
- Automated workstations
- Switchgears, firewalls, interface converters, and other network and communications equipment
The advanced metering system for electricity at the Pregolskaya CHP is being built on the basis of the ECOM-3000 data collection device. The hardware component includes eight automation cabinets, and the Energosfera 8 multifunctional software suite is installed in the upper-level of the system. Prosoft-Systems is arranging for the metrological certification of the equipment and preparing the advanced metering system to be released on the wholesale electricity and capacity market.
It is worth noting that clients who work with Prosoft-Systems are able to obtain integrated automation solutions from a single vendor. This approach expedites the installation, makes the project more manageable, and allows the clients to reduce their capital expenditures on the construction. Prosoft-Systems previously put similar package solutions into operation at two other facilities belonging to Kaliningradskaya Generatsiya Ltd — the Mayakovskaya and Talakhovskaya CHPs. The new sources of power generation are expected to do more than just ensure the region's energy security — if it proves to be economically practical and technically feasible, they could also export electricity to the Baltics and northwestern Europe.